Friday, June 15, 2012

Burger King's new bacon sundae

When I first saw the news headline about Burger King's new menu choice, I thought it was a joke.  Then I read the article and realized that it was legitimate.  A bacon sundae.  I can't begin to fathom the thought process behind offering this.  It sounds absolutely disgusting.  Yes, I completely understand the appeal of the sweet and salty combination (unfortunately). But bacon and ice cream?  Yuck!!!!


There is headline after headline about the obesity problem in America.  Then there is the bacon sundae. The news report stated that this lovely treat  has 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.  Wow.  


What saddens me more than this being offered as a menu choice, after all what can you expect from fast food, but that it obviously must appeal to enough people that Burger King made the decision to offer it.  They're in business to make money, so I assume there was plenty of market research done prior to introducing this item.  


I realize that I probably look at things with a different perspective due to my food/weight issues.  I know that there are plenty of people who are capable of having an occasional treat while maintaining a healthy diet.  In fact, most nutrition experts recommend doing this.  But 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar?  Ridiculous.  


Ok.  enough of that rant from my soap box.  As for me, I'm doing better.  Tuesday and Thursday were binge free days.  Wednesday night I didn't do so well - I wouldn't label it as a binge but there was definitely some overeating.  Today was rough, too.  Back on track tomorrow and praying to stay that way.  One day at a time.  

1 comment:

  1. I too thought that the bacon sunday was a bad joke - and it was real.

    ReplyDelete