Monday, October 22, 2012

baby shower

Dear Diary,

I went to a baby shower yesterday, and I handled it well.  Special occasions like this are very difficult for me.  I've handled the food at such events a variety of ways, many of which are unhealthy.

Option A - Eat nothing, then feel deprived and binge later.
Option B - Eat small amounts of everything that I like.  Then the sugar causes cravings which often results in a binge later.
Option C - If everyone else is overeating, join in.
Option D - Eat small amounts of only the healthy foods. Fruit, veggies, but no dip or cheese or other fatty foods.  Feel deprived, then go to the store to purchase some of the foods that I really wanted and overeat later.

This time, I ate fruit, veggies and dip, and crackers and cheese.  No cake, cookies, chocolate or punch.  This worked well!!  I enjoyed what I ate and didn't feel deprived.  I didn't have cravings afterwards.  Great balance.

Before I went to the shower, I prayed for help and I texted a friend so that I would be accountable.  I told myself "it's easier to say no than stop"and "the sugary foods aren't there for me, I don't eat them."  Notice that I didn't say "can't" eat them.  I "don't" eat them.  Somehow this small difference can mean a lot.  It means that I'm not depriving myself, but I'm making a healthy choice.

I also made a point to enjoy the people.  At this particular event, this wasn't easy because I didn't know very many of the people there.  But my daughter went with me, so I enjoyed her company.  I treated it as a "girl's day out" because it was a 30 minute trip each way, and the countryside was absolutely beautiful.

Looking forward to putting this approach into practice during the upcoming holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!!! I went to a party a few nights ago and sad to say i went with option A........ I am now 1 day binge free....just came off a 4 day binge. Keep up the good work, YOU CAN DO THIS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the encouragement! Congratulations on 1 day of being binge free. Take this one day at a time, and you'll find those binge free days increasing!

      Delete