Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Breakfast foods?

I've been making an effort to eat more protein at breakfast.  (Specifically, at least 20 grams) This seems to be working well.  It's very filling and it seems to last awhile, not to mention it reduces cravings by stabilizing blood sugar.

I'm a creature of habit, so eating the same thing for breakfast every day for a while is fine with me.  Eventually, I get sick of that though.  I've been eating two veggie sausage patties on a whole grain bun and a carton of low carb yogurt.  This has about 28 grams of protein and 350 calories.

In searching for some other breakfast ideas, I've experimented with 0% fat greek yogurt.  It is a "super food" with a ton of protein and many health benefits.  I had never tried greet yogurt until very recently.  I don't hate it, but I can't say I really like it very much. I'm hoping to find a way to fix it that I like though; specifically for breakfast.  So far, the only variation I've really liked was a mexican veggie dip with greek yogurt, salsa and taco seasoning, and that isn't very appealing at breakfast!

I've tried mixing greek yogurt with chopped apples, cinnamon, and almonds.  I've also tried it with pineapple.  I don't really like the tart/sour taste of the yogurt.  Any ideas?  Also - any ideas for a protein rich breakfast that doesn't involve eggs?  (I hate eggs.  Yuck.)

7 comments:

  1. I take plain Greek yogurt, add two packets of stevia, sugar free jelly, and chia seeds - really great. If you don't have chia seeds that's OK. I also take almond butter, add cinnamon and stevia and have it on warm toast - another yum. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Myra! I may try these. I'm not familiar with chia seeds. I'll have to research that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 egg whites and 3 slices of low fat ham - 158 calories, 31 gm protein
    8oz Greek yogurt 0%, with splenda, cinnamon, apple and walnuts - I will have to let you do the math on this one. I have a head cold and my brain hurts today. :-)

    I alternate these two breakfasts some weeks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marion - I keep hearing about chia seeds and have to research them for myself - tell me, what do you like about them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmmm......so it seems Stevia or Splenda is the key to enjoying greek yogurt. I'll give it another try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not good at giving food advice. Breakfast is usually cereal, crackers, french toast, pancakes... i am going to stop now, I don't think i'm being of any assistance :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh but you were of assistance, Lorena! You made me smile and I needed that today :)

    ReplyDelete