Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Peace in the Valley

Do you remember that old song?

"There'll be peace in the valley for me someday,
There'll be peace in the valley for me.
I pray no more sorrow and sadness or trouble will be,
There'll be peace in the valley for me."



Over the years, I've prayed for peace more times than I can count. Peace from an eating disorder/sugar addiction.  Peace from the constant tug of war of dysfunctional eating patterns and habits.  Peace and relief from yo-yo dieting.  Peace and happiness can't be found in food, in a bottle, through drugs, gambling, excessive shopping.....nothing material.  This peace can only be found in God.

For some reason this song came to mind today.  I don't even really like the song that much, so I'm not sure why.  I began thinking about peace.....the peace that I've had with food recently.  I long for this to remain, and I need to be constantly aware of the choices that effect this.  

Then I began wondering why the lyrics talk about peace in the valley.  After all.....valleys describe the low, difficult places in life.  Why isn't the song about peace on the mountain tops?  You know - those times when everything is smooth sailing?  The bills are paid, the kids are healthy, the job is secure?  Duh!!  What a silly question!  Of course we long for peace in the valley!  That's when we need it!  

Have you been able to find peace in your valley?  

1 comment:

  1. Actually I should begin singing that song too as I too need a little peace.
    It's been crazy at work, at home, in the neighborhood, at school....
    Hope you find some peace.

    ReplyDelete