Friday, April 27, 2012

not a perfect journey

I have to continually remind myself that this is a journey.  There is no real end.  This can be difficult, because I view it as having somewhat of an end because I do want to reach a normal weight and stay there.  However, overall, this is a journey.  One meal at a time.

Last week someone stopped me at work and commented on my weight loss.  She mentioned that she was really struggling, and that her doctor gave her some advice and told her that it was simple.  I told her to find another doctor :)  I suppose in some ways it is simple.  But it's not easy.  If it were, millions of people wouldn't be overweight, and the diet industry wouldn't be raking in the dough.

Later that week, I mentioned to my sister that I feel like such a fraud when someone admires my weight loss.  I'm not where I need to be physically, mentally or emotionally.  In many ways I don't feel that I should be admired or that I should give advice on the subject.  My sister looked at me and said  "so do you think you have to be perfect to help someone?"  Hmmmm.  That made me think.

No, I don't have to be perfect to offer advice, a shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen.  This is a journey and it is not perfect.  There will be hills and valleys.  The important thing is to be determined not to get stuck in a valley, but to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment