Monday, April 9, 2012

Sick


Sick 
by Shel Silverstein

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more--that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut--my eyes are blue--
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke--
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is--what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is. . .Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play!"

I've always loved this poem.  I've heard it performed as a monologue by a very talented
young lady, which caused me to love it even more.  Enough of that, though.  Saturday 
I had a stomach virus.  Don't worry - there will be no details given here.  It was 
unpleasant, but definitely could have been worse.  I very seldom get sick.  In fact 
I can't remember the last time I did.  Probably two years ago I think.  
It was so frustrating to have things that I needed to do (grocery shopping, laundry,
preparing for Easter, spending time with my hubby since he's only home on weekends) 
and not being able to do a thing.
  
I was much better on Sunday, so I was able to go to Easter services at church, 
and then to my sister's for dinner.  There, I made a mistake.  After you've recovered 
from a stomach bug, you can eat normally right away, correct?  Wrong.  
I didn't overeat, but my appetite had returned so I ate dinner.  Dinner included
some special dishes that I don't normally eat like my sister's mac & cheese
(which is the best in the entire world) and mashed potatoes. 
Needless to say, I regretted eating something other than saltines or toast.  

Anyway.......if anything good can come out of 
a stomach virus, it will be this.  I will take advantage of the opportunity to get
my eating back on track.  My stomach can't currently handle a return to my normal 
foods at this point, but I still need to make healthy choices.
I know that I will be a bit off kilter this week because my routine will be disrupted. 
My daughter is on spring break,and I'm on vacation.  I will not use this as an excuse
to become a sugar eating slug.  

No comments:

Post a Comment