Wednesday, August 8, 2012

closet debate

Dear Diary,

As I lost weight last year, I got rid of my clothes that were too large.  If they were still nice, I donated them to Good Will.  If they weren't they were thrown away.  After all, this is what all the experts say to do, right?  Keeping clothes that are too large give you a safety net for regaining the weight.  The need to purchase new items if the scales go back up should be motivation to stay on track.

I'm beginning to think that theory is rubbish.  Hogwash.  Whatever silly word you'd like to say.  As I've written in all of my recent entries, I've gained a substantial amount of weight back.  Much of my clothing doesn't fit.  Even if I were to get my act together this very second and reverse this trend, it would still take a while to be able to wear some of the smaller sizes in my closet.  This leaves several choices.  Wear the limited items that fit, wear clothes that are too tight and unflattering, and/or buy a few things in larger sizes.  None of these are good for my already injured self esteem.  If I had kept a few of the nicer pieces as I lost weight, I'd have another choice.  I think this would be less humiliating than the other choices I mentioned.

Any thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Melanie I am so sorry to hear this.
    I do think the right thing to do is get rid of the clothes that don't fit, because as i see it the original plan is not to gain the weight back.
    I am going through something similar too, so i can relate. About 6 years ago i started going to a nutritionist and i was able to drop about 20 pounds, 6 years later I have gained the 20 pounds plus about 15 more.
    Almost everything is tight and although i have been strictly watching what i eat of 2 weeks i have not lost a single pound - so it is very frustrating.
    I think that maybe in order to feel better, you can maybe buy one of 2 pieces of clothes that you feel comfortable in so you can begin that process of getting back in track. If you have done it before, you can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorena - thanks so much for your insight and encouragement. You make a very valid point. The idea is to lose weight and not regain, so why keep the larger clothes.

      I'm so sorry to hear that you're struggling as well. I appreciate your sharing. Judging by your photos, I'd never guess that you had any issues with your weight. I'd also never think that you needed to lose weight. You appear to be very trim. If your desire is to lose weight, I know you'll accomplish this. Keep up the healthy eating - it will be reflected on the scale soon.

      Delete