Friday, September 23, 2011

Priority check

I saw a quote yesterday that I've seen before, but it really resonated with me this time.

"One should eat to live, not live to eat."

Food is necessary for fueling our bodies.  Do we treat that as the primary reason for eating, though? Why do we choose the foods we do?

Here are just a few that I thought of:
taste
availability
cost
does the entire family like it?
ease of preparation
how does it make me feel?

For many years, I lived to eat.  If I'm really honest with myself, eating was one of the main sources of pleasure in my life.  I made it a huge priority.  The time I spent planning what I would eat, purchasing it, eating it, hiding how much I was eating.....looking back I realize how sad that is.

My priorities should be God, my family, my friends, my health, my job.  I'm not saying that food shouldn't be pleasurable, but I need to always remember to put it in the proper perspective.  It is fuel.  Whole grains, proteins, fruits, and vegetables provide my body what it needs to function properly.  A diet high in fat, sugar and salt does nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment