Friday, July 15, 2011

mini vacation

My husband and I are taking my daughter and her best friend on a mini vacation next week.  We'll leave Monday and come back Wednesday.  I've been pondering how to handle food during that time.  I plan to take oatmeal and raisins with me so that I can eat a healthy breakfast in our room.  I also plan to take some healthy snacks such as almonds with me.  I don't typically eat snacks, I'm more of a three-meals-a-day kind of girl, but I know that while on vacation things change so I want to be prepared.

I know we'll be eating out a lot, so the main issue I'm trying to decide in advance is whether I'll "splurge" a little.  I've already decided that I will not splurge on sugar.  It's just not worth it.  Even a small amount of sugar would still leave me craving sugar for days.  If I do splurge it might be on french fries or pizza, for example.  Is that even worth it?

In the past, one of my main sources of pleasure during a vacation has been eating.  Lots of unhealthy snacks and unhealthy meals at restaurants.  This little trip will be different.  I want to derive pleasure from non-food things.  Spending time with my family, relaxing, etc.

While I know that eating at restaurants isn't ideal, there is still at least one or two healthy choices at most any establishment.  Grilled chicken sandwich, a salad without lots of cheese and full fat dressing, etc.

I also plan to exercise.  I'm not sure if I'll use the hotel gym....actually now that I think about it I'm not sure if this particular establishment has one.  If not, I should still be able to walk.

I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment