Thursday, April 14, 2011

cupcakes part 2, and pizza

The day after the company provided cupcakes for everyone at the celebration, there were leftovers.  I've been told they were still moist and yummy.   I'm so happy to say that it bothered me a bit, but the urge to eat one was not overwhelming.

Today, for reasons unknown to me, the company provided donuts, cookies, fruit and coffee for breakfast. Then pizza for lunch!!  Is my willpower and strength being tested?!  At least there was fruit this morning.  I avoided the donuts, and again I'm happy to say that it didn't bother me too much.

Then came the pizza.  It was set up close enough to my desk that the smell was almost overwhelming.  Oooey, gooey, cheesy goodness.  I reminded myself of how much fat there is in only one slice.  It was hard.  Since it was lunchtime, I decided to avoid temptation by going to the cafeteria and eating my veggie chicken sandwich on a whole wheat bun and grapes.

My brain began the all too familiar destructive self-talk.  "This isn't fair."  "Why can't I treat myself this time". "It smells sooooooooooo good."  "Why can't I be normal and eat a slice or two like everyone else."

Before I went any farther into this pity party, I reminded myself of something in the "Made to Crave" book I just finished reading.  (I will probably read it again - it's that good!)  Everything is permitted, but not everything is beneficial.  Is that pizza beneficial?  No.  Lots of fat, crust made out of white flour, addictive.

When the work day was over, I was happy to be able to say that I overcame the temptations!!!!  That feels much better than eating pizza or donuts ever could.  No guilt.  No beating myself up over bad choices.  No subsequent sugar cravings.

God is good!!  He never allows temptation without allowing a way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment