Wednesday, February 15, 2012

potatoes??

I'm continuing to eat healthy and exercise.  I'm using a pedometer to track my daily steps as part of the fit challenge at work.  I've switched to a higher protein breakfast, and I'm making sure that I eat protein with lunch and dinner to maintain stable blood sugar levels and decrease cravings.  I'm not eating refined sugar or white flour.  I was doing most of this before my recent relapse, but I'm getting back into the swing of things.  As mentioned earlier, I've also added certain vitamins to my daily routine as recommended by "The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program."

I'm also trying one more recommendation from the book.  I've struggled with taking this step, because I'm skeptical.  About three hours after dinner and one hour before bedtime, I'm eating a white potato with the skin.  Yes, a white potato.  The reason for doing this is to increase the serotonin levels in your brain.  Here's the explanation on the web site (www.radiantrecovery.com)  


The potato creates an insulin response that effects the movement of the amino acid tryptophan from your blood into your brain. Your body uses tryptophan to make serotonin, the brain chemical that makes you feel mellow and happy. Serotonin also helps you to "just say no" to sweets and other things by putting the brakes on your impulsivity.


In some ways, eating a white potato every day sounds too simplistic to help.  In other ways, it seems like a crazy thing to do when I'm avoiding refined carbs.  However, the research in the book and the credentials of the author are persuasive, so I'm giving it a try.  


Has anyone else tried this?  Any feedback?  







3 comments:

  1. That sounds interesting. Is the serotonin in the skin? If it is you can skip eating the white part of the potato. If not, see how it works for you.

    I do not usually have potatoes. But that is only me. If I have them I do not want them plain. I want them with salt, with butter, with cheese, with sour cream, with . . .. . So I don't have them. I have no problem at all having a measured serving of a baked sweet potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not certain, but I think it's the refined carbs that boost the serotonin levels in your brain. However, the book makes it clear that you must eat the skin not just the potato. Can't remember why - I had to take my copy back to the library and I haven't purchased my own yet. It does say that a baked sweet potato is an acceptable alternative.

    Fortunately, I'm ok with just a plain potato. I'd much rather have it with cheese and sour cream and all of that unhealthy stuff, but I'm ok with it plain.

    So far, I can't say I'm noticing any type of difference since I've added the potato. However, it's probably too soon to come to a conclusion. Also, I feel that any sugar cravings I'm having right now are likely directly related to the sugar that I've eaten over the past months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess you learn something new everyday - as i see it it's a way to trick the body.
    And I always laugh a little when i read the word "pedometer" - because pedo in spanish means fart... haha

    ReplyDelete