Saturday, February 19, 2011

Change of plans

We went to Outback last night as planned.  When we arrived, the parking lot was packed and we found that the wait time was 60 minutes!  Of course, it was a Friday night around 6:30 p.m., so we should not have been surprised.  My husband was starving, so he didn't want to wait that long.

We decided to go to Cracker Barrel.  That probably wasn't the best choice since their menu is full of traditional Southern foods, which tend to be full of fat and butter.  I ordered grilled chicken, green beans, and a house salad.  This sounds like a healthy meal, but it tasted so good I have my doubts!  When I got home, I looked for the nutritional information to see if I had made good choices.  The Cracker Barrel web site does not give this info!  Hmmmmm.......this causes me to suspect that the food is not particularly healthy.

Even though I didn't stay with my vegan plan, I feel like I made good choices.  The chicken was grilled, I don't think the green beans had a lot of oil or butter, and the salad had very little cheese.  I did eat the croutons - they were delicious and were probably a poor choice.  I also ate half of a cornbread muffin with butter.  That probably wasn't the best decision, but overall I feel I did really well.

The main thing that I noticed last night is that rather than being overwhelmed by all of the choices on the menu like I normally am, it was much easier to make a decision when searching for healthy fare.  After all - this didn't leave very many choices!  Most importantly, I avoided sugar.  I was full and satisfied, but not overly full because I didn't overeat like I have typically done at restaurants in the past.

Even better - my choices last night did not cause me to crave fatty, sugary, salty foods today!!!

Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment