Sunday, February 6, 2011

Successful Event

Wow - I haven't posted in a week!  This week has been fairly uneventful.  I'm finding that a low fat, high fiber, low/no sugar diet is definitely key to avoiding uncontrollable sugar cravings.  I can actually go into a grocery store and not have an overwhelming urge to buy every cookie, cake, candy bar, etc. in sight!!

During the week, I was a bit concerned about an event.  Saturday night, we were celebrating my sister's birthday at my house.  We were having dinner - one would assume that since it was at my house that I would be doing the majority of the cooking.  However, I'm really not a particularly good cook.  Not to mention that the rest of the family would probably not to want to eat my vegan choices.  Fortunately, my parents and my sister are health conscious.

Mom fixed baked chicken, flat iron steak, green beans, fruit salad and rolls.  I fixed salad, roasted red potatoes and chocolate chess pie.  Since I knew  the menu in advance, I was able to plan ahead of time what I would eat.

I know what you're thinking - why is a sugar addict fixing chocolate pie???!!!  Well, even though I'm not a great cook, I can fix yummy desserts.  My sister and mom are very supportive, so if I had said that I didn't feel comfortable making dessert they would have completely understood.  I decided to give it a whirl.

My daughter made the pie almost entirely on her own, with a little bit of supervision from me.  I knew that this would give me some accountability.  I'm not going to ask my 13 year old daughter to be an accountability partner, but since she knows that I'm trying to eat healthy I would be embarrassed to do otherwise with her present.

Having the pie sitting there at dinner really didn't bother me!!  What progress.  I ate baked chicken, green beans, and fruit salad.  I was very content and full.  I did sort of miss having my mom's home made rolls, but I knew that if I ate one it could very easily start a downward spiral.  (This was the first meat that I had eaten since 1/9/11.  I'm still planning to stay with my vegan eating style, at least for a while.  I could have fixed an alternate main dish for myself, but I decided that boneless, skinless, baked chicken for this event would be ok)

How do you handle events?

No comments:

Post a Comment