Thursday, February 10, 2011

pizza party

 We're having a pizza party tomorrow at work for my boss' birthday.  How do I deal with that?  My first approach was denial.  I didn't want to plan for it.  How silly is that?  Today, I finally realized that when the planning began and it was asked "what should we order?", I could have asked if anyone else would be interested in a healthy option. Perhaps a veggie pizza with no/light cheese?  Or a salad?  I went to the restaurant's web site, and (surprise, surprise) there were NO healthy options.  Only pizza, breadsticks, and wings.  Of course, if I'd planned earlier maybe someone else would have agreed that a veggie pizza was a good choice, but at this point it's really too late to ask the company to buy an additional pizza for the party if I'm likely the only person that would eat it.

I actually don't really want to eat the pizza.  My main issue is not the food itself, but the "why aren't you eating" questions.  I am not comfortable enough, assertive enough, self confidant enough or open enough to feel at ease with nine or ten other people eating pizza and either not eating at all or bringing my own healthy lunch.

I asked my son for his opinion. He suggested that I take a personal day.  That seems so radical! I have such a strong work ethic that I can't even fathom doing that.

My son mentioned in a separate conversation, that as a healthy, fitness crazed body builder he couldn't imaging walking into McDonalds and ordering a burger.  He compared it to a pastor going to the ABC store.  My response?  I told him that no body would pay attention to him.  They don't care what he's eating.  Hmmmmm.........sounds like I need to heed my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment