Sunday, February 13, 2011

craving chocolate

I'm craving chocolate today.  Not in the overwhelming, I'm going to make a special trip out to the store, I will not find relief until I eat chocolate way, but it's been consuming my thoughts for the last several hours.    


Rather than immediately searching the house for chocolate, which would have been fruitless because I'm pretty sure there is none, or finding any type of sugar that I could find to begin a binge, I've examined my thoughts and tried to find a reason for the craving.

Am I hungry? Not really.  Have I eaten enough fiber filled foods today? Yes.  Have I eaten more sugar today than usual? No.  Could it be hormone related?  No.  What about emotions - am I lonely, sad, depressed or bored?  Not particularly.  


There are only two reasons I can think of.  First, my nieces were here last night and I fixed pizza and garlic cheese bread for dinner, and gave them ice cream for dessert.  I fixed a healthy pizza for myself, which was somewhat satisfying, and I avoided the garlic bread because it's not on my current eating plan.  (not to mention that I would have difficulty stopping at one piece) At the time, the ice cream didn't bother me.  I purchased three small cups of ice cream rather than a half gallon so that there would be no leftovers (one for each of my nieces and one for my daughter).  The pizza and garlic bread sure looked good, though.  Could being around all of this last night cause cravings?

Second, the speaker at church today spent a while talking about ice cream this morning. (I know, it sounds strange but he definitely related it to the Bible passage that we were studying).  He mentioned his love of ice cream, many different Ben and Jerry's varieties, and he gave my daughter a pint of Ben and Jerry's Phish Food.  Could this be the cause?

Could it be one of the two reasons I mentioned?  Or are there cravings that occur for no good reason?

I'll ponder that some more, and I will not succumb to temptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment