Tuesday, August 30, 2011

overcoming the odds

Despite the added stress in my life due to my husband's job loss, I've been doing quite well.  My eating has remained healthy and I have continued to exercise regularly.  For now, I've decided to alternate between walking and Tae Bo.  On the days that I've been walking, I've been attempting to increase the speed and intensity.  It will be interesting to see the results of this.  For the most part, I've been enjoying working out.  Exercise has always been something I somewhat dread, so it would be nice if I could get to the point that I really look forward to it.

My husband and I are planning a trip next month.  September 15 is our 20th wedding anniversary.  It's so hard to believe!!  This will be my next food challenge.  Do I "splurge" since it is a once in a lifetime event or do I eat the same as I have been?  I've been thinking about this for a few weeks, and I don't think I'm ready to splurge on anything sugary.  Ultimately, it's just not worth it.  And, you know what?  The thought of not eating a dessert or two (or three or four or five as during past) doesn't really bother me.  I might eat a few things that I haven't been eating on a regular basis, but only if I feel that it is something that I will not regret.  I want to enjoy this time that we'll have together, and remember it with fondness.  I don't want to associate it with the negative effects that sugar has on my mind and my body.

1 comment:

  1. Heads up Melanie !
    You are showing true strength here :)
    Congrats on your upcoming anniversary and just have ONE good dessert - and take your time while you eat it :)

    ReplyDelete