Tuesday, June 14, 2011

awkward

We had a health fair at work today.  We were encouraged to take advantage of different types of screenings that were offered.  There were incentives such as gift cards for having your weight, blood pressure, diabetes risk assessment, BMI calculated, cholesterol checked, etc.

I had absolutely no desire to do any of these tests.  I do go to my doctor once a year, and despite being  very overweight my blood pressure, cholesterol, blood sugar, etc. are fine.  That doesn't mean I want to subject myself to these tests in public, at work, when I don't have to, though.

A few of my co-workers took advantage of the screenings and were very surprised at the results.  One of my co-workers appears to be a relatively  normal weight.  I wouldn't categorize her as thin, but I definitely wouldn't say that she is overweight.  She was very upset after she went to the screenings.  She was supposedly told that she was overweight, and that at 5'7 she should be 111 pounds.  She went on and on about how fat she was and how depressed the results made her and how she wanted to go eat a ton of junk food.  Of course, myself and others assured her that she was not fat but she continued to talk about this.

All of this was so awkward!!  Despite loosing 60 plus pounds, I'm still rather overweight.  To have someone who is relatively thin complain about fat while at a desk beside mine makes me so uncomfortable. I suppose I shouldn't let it bother me, but it did.  If she thinks she's fat, what must she think of me?  During one of the many conversations that resulted, someone mentioned the obese word.  That made it even worse.

I've read on other blogs that thin people don't typically talk about being overweight around an overweight person.  Perhaps it's just the people I'm around, but I've been involved in numerous conversations like this.  Maybe I should feel good that they don't mind talking about this while I'm around?

Ok....enough rambling.  It was uncomfortable and awkward, but not overwhelmingly so.  I will move on and continue with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment