Monday, June 27, 2011

love of structure

I love structure.  I'm a planner, and I don't adapt to change very well.  This is true in most areas of my life, especially with food.  I have found that three meals a day works well for me.  Adding snacks somehow throws me off kilter.  I know there are many experts who recommend eating six small meals a day rather than 3 meals a day.   When I eat a smaller meal or snack, it's like my body asks "where's the rest of the food??"  It's too easy to turn those six mini meals into six large meals, or simply eat all day.

I even tend to eat the same foods most days.  At least for breakfast and lunch.  Dinner varies.  I don't really get bored with the same types of foods for breakfast and lunch.  I guess maybe I derive some sort of comfort from the continuity.

I also eat my meals at almost the same time every day.  I feel like that is almost more of a physical thing than a structured thing.  Since I do eat at about the same time every day, my body simply expects food at that time.

For the most part, I like all of this structure.  However, it can cause a problem if something interrupts my routine.  For example, I took my daughter and one of her friends to a movie last night.  (Soul Surfer was much better than I expected.  Very inspiring.  If that young girl can do what she has done, then I can certainly overcome my struggles!)  The only time that we would be able to go was in the middle of my normal dinner time.  I'm sure to most people, this would be absolutely no problem whatsoever.  In fact, most people probably wouldn't give this a second thought.

I certainly didn't avoid the movie because of the timing, but it did concern me.  In situations like this in the past, even with careful planning I've the results haven't been good.  I would wait until later to eat, then binge or over eat because I was starving.  Or I would eat a snack before the movie, and that snack would somehow trigger a binge.  I've also tried eating the meal earlier than normal, but then I'm starving later.

I'm proud to say that last night went well!!!  I took some almonds with me, and ate them about mid-way through the movie.  After I got home, I ate a healthy dinner.  I didn't have cravings or anything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment