Sunday, June 19, 2011

How do people treat you?

My weight has varied widely over the years.  For the past twenty years, it has very seldom been within the normal range.  It has varied anywhere from normal to morbidly obese.  If you are in the same or similar situation, do you feel that there are people that treat you differently when you are at a normal weight (or slightly overweight) than they do when you are obese?

When I got pregnant with my first child, I was slightly overweight.  Actually, I was probably more than slightly overweight but I always "carried it well".  I gained 60 pounds during that pregnancy.  I very clearly remember when my son was probably one or two months old that a family member told me that I should make sure I lost all of the weight I had gained.  "You're too pretty to be this heavy."

I've mentioned before that there was a time that I lost a huge amount of weight, and I stayed at a healthy weight for about a year or two.  Perhaps it is only my imagination, but I feel like that family member treated me entirely different during that time than any other.  I feel as if he were nicer, more affectionate, more talkative at family functions.  Again, maybe my sensitivity about the issue has caused me to mis-judge the situation, but I don't think so.

I'm very blessed that my immediate family has always loved me regardless of my weight, and they have treated me very respectfully.  My parents, sister, husband and kids have always been very supportive and never judgmental.  If this person is treating me differently based on my weight, then intellectually I know that it is his problem rather than mine.  That doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt, though.

Have you experienced this?

No comments:

Post a Comment