Sunday, June 12, 2011

Exercise habits

I've been walking for a while now, and I've come to enjoy it rather than dread it (most days).  I generally walk in my neighborhood in the evenings for about 20-50 minutes.  I don't always take the same route.  Sometimes my husband and I walk together, sometimes my daughter will go with me, and sometimes I walk by myself.

When I walk with my husband, we take a more challenging route.  It's much easier to do that with him because I'm enjoying our time together rather than focusing on how hard the hills are to climb.  If I walk by myself, I don't usually take the most challenging route so I attempt to compensate by walking longer.

This week, I got out of the habit of walking.  I walked Monday, but then didn't walk again until yesterday. Tuesday I did mow the grass which is likely comparable exercise since I use a push mower.  Wednesday and Thursday night I was busy and Friday it rained.

Anyway - all of this rambling is to say that walking was a hard yesterday since I'd missed so many days! In some ways it wasn't as challenging as I expected, but it was difficult.   It can be so hard to maintain a healthy habit.  I think I've read it takes about 21 days to form a habit.  Why does it seem like only a few days of discontinuing that healthy habit is so detrimental?

No comments:

Post a Comment