Thursday, January 20, 2011

Accountability

One of the reasons I began this particular weight loss journey is at the prompting of my son.  He is 18 years old, a devoted body builder and health nut.  He confronted me about my weight problem in December.  At the time, his "intervention" was very difficult.  It was humbling to have my first born child explain that he was very concerned about my weight and the health issues that would inevitably occur.

He offered to help me by being my weight loss coach, encouraging me, and holding me accountable.  At first, I really didn't like the idea on many levels.  He's my child.  Regardless of the fact that he is 18 now, he's still my little boy.  I'm supposed to help him, he's not supposed to help me.

After I thought about this a bit, I realized that I wouldn't think twice about helping my parents with anything they needed.  Of course, I'm 37 years old and my son is 18 so there is a difference.  Also, he made the offer, it wasn't as if I had asked.  So I decided to accept.

As I began my new eating plan, my son was very encouraging.  He has asked at least once a day how my eating has been.  He has done so in a more gentle, loving manner than I somehow expected.  He has such a kind heart, but he is also very assertive and bold so I expected more of a drill sergeant approach!!

Yesterday was the first day (other than the day I slipped and binged on sugar) that I had some trouble.  I  expected to have more trouble this week since I'm not working and have more free time.  I was out shopping.  I ate breakfast right before I left the house, so I wasn't hungry.  Fast food restaurants began calling my name.  Then I began thinking about ice cream, cookies, and chocolate.  What do I do?

When I initially thought about sending a text to my son as he had suggested I do in such circumstances, I didn't want to.  I didn't want to bother him - I knew he was at school, possibly in class.  I couldn't decide if I really didn't want to bother him, or if I was just rationalizing.  I finally decided to send him a text - "Having trouble.  Need some tough love."

My son called me within 5 minutes and asked where I was.  I was shopping not far from his school, he was getting ready to leave, and my sweet child offered to come to me.  I didn't expect that.  His offer was so kind and understanding.  I told him that doing so was not necessary.  Actually, the act of texting him helped quite a bit.  After all, I wouldn't want to send the text then explain to him later that I succumbed to the cravings, would I?

My son proceeded to encourage me to stay on plan, stay away from the food court at the mall, and sent me a text about 30 minutes later to follow up.  Then about an hour after the initial text that I sent, he sent me another text letting me know that he was going to work and that I needed to come home and eat lunch so I wouldn't be tempted to buy unhealthy food while I was out!  How sweet and helpful is that??!

When I got his last text, I was at a dollar store.  I didn't buy food!!!  Instead, I noticed these Coke drinking glasses that I've always liked but never purchased.  At only $1 each, why not buy those as a reward for not bingeing?  So I did.  Much more satisfying than a sugar high followed by a crash and days of being tempted to return to sugar.

Thanks to having accountability, I stayed on plan yesterday.  How are you doing?  How are you accountable to?  Are you like me - a very private person who doesn't want to share anything with anyone?  Take a leap of faith today and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment