Monday, May 30, 2011

does it help to know why?

There are days, sometimes even weeks, where I have little to no trouble with cravings.  I eat healthfully, and sugar and junk food do not really tempt me.  Then, seemingly out of the blue, wham!  All I can think about is what I'd like to binge on.

Today, I was ok until I saw a picture on a pop up site of a cheesecake brownie.  I immediately thought of the cheesecake brownies that are sold at a local shop.  They are delish.  After that, I craved key lime pie.  Then I started craving M & M's. All of this started with a silly picture!

I texted my son so that I would have accountability.  Despite that, I very seriously considered stopping on my way home from work to buy a bunch of sugary stuff to eat.  The cravings had increased until I was almost at the point that I was ready to give in.  I knew that if I did, I would feel a sense of relief before the guilt occurred. Unless you have dealt with compulsive overeating, the feelings are probably difficulty to understand.

My son called me while I was out and asked how I was doing.  His call helped tremendously.  I'm proud to say that I did not succumb to the temptation.  I spent more money than I intended at Old Navy's Memorial Day sale, but I didn't binge!

Why does this happen?  Why do some people have such overwhelming cravings and have binge eating disorder?   My sugar intake was no higher today than usual.  I'm not particularly stressed.  It's not hormone related.

Does it even help if you can determine the exact reason for any one given "episode"?  I've done a bit of reading on the subject, and I don't think there is one exact cause for binge eating disorder.  The reasons for the cravings and binges are often complex.  I guess that is why it is so hard to treat.

While there is no certain cure for this, there are steps that can be taken to overcome.  I'm taking this day by day.  Sometimes minute by minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment