Saturday, December 10, 2011

birthday parties

 My sweet little girl turned 14 on December 5.  We had a "family" party for her on the 4th, and she's having her "friend" party this evening.  She didn't want the traditional birthday fare at either party, so no cake to deal with.  When we were celebrating with family, she wanted marinated ham sandwiches, cracker candy, 7 layer bars, little smokies in sauce, and fruit salad.  How's that for an interesting combination of birthday snacks?  But that's fine - it's her birthday so I always fix what she wants.  I added pretzels to her menu so that anyone that wanted to eat healthy could snack on pretzels and fruit salad.

I didn't eat anything at her party, or before the party when I was fixing everything.  Oddly enough, I was ok with that.  I did miss eating these treats, but overall I didn't have a problem.  I could have eaten fruit salad and/or pretzels, but I wasn't hungry so I didn't bother.  Instead, I enjoyed spending time with family.

On her actual birthday, she wanted to have dinner at Panera.  Easy enough to eat healthy there.

At tonight's party, we're having pizza, chips, and s'mores.  (We're planning to have a bonfire.)  I'm not a fan of marshmallows, so the s'mores shouldn't be a temptation.  I tried to buy the exact amount of Hershey bars that we'll need so there wouldn't be leftovers.  The pizza may bother me a bit.  I will likely grab something at Subway so I will still get to eat something that I don't eat often and I didn't have to cook myself, but it's healthy.  Sometimes I have to play mental games with myself!  :)

Thankfully, I've been on plan this week.  It's been a tough week, though.  As can be par for the course during the holiday season....stress abounds.  That's ok, though, I can handle it.

3 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, it is perfectly legal to throw out leftover Hershey bars to save your life.

    Jane at Keepingthepoundsoff.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the reminder! It seems like throwing away leftovers is illegal, doesn't it?

    Fortunately, there were none left so I didn't have to deal with that. We did have leftover pizza, though. I've kept it for my daughter to eat. Even though I stayed on plan throughout both parties, I've had cravings today. It's so frustrating how simply being around certain foods can cause cravings that are almost intense as the ones I have after eating certain foods. I'm taking this one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathe out fear and breath in hope. Every hour you do not indulge you are building strength to resist when you are at your weakest. You can do this.

    Jane at Keepingthepoundsoff.com

    ReplyDelete